Saturday, June 26, 2010

Transformations

From this:


and this:


and this:


to this:


and this:


and this:


From the time we left in February to our return in May, the thick blanket of snow had given way to green grass and a garden in full bud and blossom.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

~ William Wordsworth


I was amazed when I arrived to find the garden bursting with drifts of daffodils, narcissus and tulips.  The birds were enjoying the spring as well, and I counted 12 different species, all with their own favourite trees.  I figure we have at least a dozen pairs of robins, who march across the lawn in rows like redcoated soldiers, vigorously defending their own territory. 

After having spent most of March and April jumping through hoops to make it to closing day, we were less than pleased to find that the date came and went, and we still did not own the property.  Lawyers made phone calls, government clerks went on holiday, the sun rose and set, and still we did not close.  A week passed, then ten days, then two weeks.  Nails were chewed down to the quick.  Finally, after a last minute face-off between the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Ministry of Transportation, the t was crossed, the i dotted and we closed ... but not before I'd already flown home.  I'd really been looking forward to that champagne on the deck, but it would have to wait. 

Red tape aside, it was a wonderful two weeks.  Paul had already been there a week when I arrived, having driven from Southern Ontario (a gruelling two day trek) and endured numerous vehicle problems along the way, not the least of which was a broken water pump, which he had to change in a parking lot.  Oh, and did I mention he had a broken thumb?  Yeah ...  

I'll update tomorrow with lists, water courses and bears ...



Spring garden ...



Hummingbird in his favourite tree, the honey locust.



American goldfinch posing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment