Thursday, February 9, 2012

Winter Woollies

Back in the suburbs and cities, folks are walking around in shirtsleeves in their centrally heated, 21 degrees C homes, offices, stores and malls.  It's funny what you get used to.  In the days before central heating, our parents and grandparents had many cheap and efficient ways to keep warm.  I've listed a few below:

Slippers.
Bedsocks.
Housecoats. (that's a dressing gown if you're British)
Aran cardigans.
Hot water bottles.
Car blankets.
Longjohns ("onesies" if you prefer, or thermal underwear)
Draft excluders.
Winter curtains.

If you'll notice, none of the above items requires electricity.  None of them are electronic.  And once bought, they last a very long time.  In the modern suburban/urban lifestyle, these things have fallen into disuse, as most people keep their thermostat set at 21 degrees C all winter.  In some apartment buildings and condos, as well as most office buildings, I believe this is the standard temperature.  You can walk around in shirtsleeves, you don't need any of the items listed above, and you're burning one hell of a lot of electricity and/or natural gas, for which you can bet you're being charged an exhorbitant amount by the utility company.  And then when folks go to bed, no doubt they have an electric blanket.

As I write this at my kitchen table, the thermometer on the wall reads 17 degrees C.  Outside, it's -8.  We don't have central heating, but I'm quite comfortable with my woolly cardigan on, woollen pants and fleecy slippers.  If I get chilly, there's a car blanket draped over the back of the couch.  When I go to bed, it's pre-warmed with my hot water bottle, and that stays warm until morning.  (I'm not revealing what I wear to bed, but you can probably guess.  It's on the list.)  When I get up, if it's a bit chilly, I have a lovely oversized housecoat to wrap around myself.

Like I said, none of the above items require electricity.  They used to be very ordinary household things, sensible ways to stay warm in the days when people had one fireplace with a chimney breast to heat the whole house.  I think it's a shame that they've fallen out of fashion.  Out here in the country, we look to the old ways of keeping warm, and it doesn't cost us a dime.

21 degrees always felt way too hot to me, and I really think that 17 or 18 is a healthier temperature.  And if you feel cold at our house, as grandma used to tell you, just put on a sweater!



No comments:

Post a Comment